Have fun watching a growing baby dinosaur break out of its own egg!
Always wanted a pet Dinosaur? Watch in awe as your dino egg hatches into your favorite prehistoric creature when submerged in water. It works like Magic, but the secret to these growing wonders is that they are made out of a special superabsorbent polymer that soaks up water like a sponge. The polymer, or hydrogel, is similar to the non-toxic chemical used in baby nappies. So don't overlook the educational value of these popular toys.
Age: 4+ with adult supervision
What you get
10pc dinosaur eggs. Dinosaurs vary.
How does it work?
Completely submerge the speckled dino egg in a container of water. Within 12-24 hours the egg shell will crack and your baby pet will begin to hatch. To take full advantage of the science angle, take some measurements of your newborn hatchling. One of the easiest ways to take measurements is to place the baby dino on a piece of graph paper and trace around it. Simply count the squares to determine the area and size of the object. It's fun to watch your dino grow for the first 24 hours... but don't be disappointed if it's not huge. It takes about 5 days for it to get really big. After 24 hours, remove the dino from the water and carefully dry it off with a paper towel. Take measurements and record your data on your graph paper. Back to the water, they go for another 24 hours. Continue gathering data until the creatures stop growing after about 7 days.
- Superabsorbent polymers or hydrogels and their use in everyday life: baby nappies and agriculture/gardening to retain water in the soil.
- Hydrophilic and hydrophobic substances.
- Measurement and graphing.
Why did it fall apart?
- If your water is too hot, it will cause the creatures to disintegrate. Warm water works best, but make sure that it isn't too hot.
How long will it last?
- As long as the creatures are handled carefully, they will last for a long time. And because it is reusable, you can dry it out and regrow it several times.
How long does it take to grow to its full size?
- About a week and a half to two weeks.
Is it reusable?
- Yes! Take the dino out of the water and, depending on humidity, it should take about 3 weeks to a month to shrink to its original size. As an extra activity have your students record how much it shrinks daily.
- Use distilled water if it is available.
- Make sure the water is at room temperature or slightly warmer. Water that is too hot will cause the body parts to disintegrate.
- Change the water every day for the first few days.
- Make sure your hands are clean when you touch the growing creatures. Dirty hands can cause bacteria to grow in the water.
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD-Small Parts. Not for children under 3 years.
UPDATE: Due to the huge increase in social media attention, we're running extremely low on these. Because of high demand, your order may take up to 2 - 4 weeks to arrive. So hurry and order now before it's all gone!
With Good Times you can enjoy:
Lighting fast delivery
24/7 customer support
30-day money back guarantee
Insured tracking via USPS